Certified Athletic Trainer:
Jessica Mayes, MS, ATC
Contact: email@example.com or on Healthy Roster chat
Office Phone: 650-558-2326
*During the school closure, Jessica can be reached via email, Healthy Roster, and/or Canvas at any time, and will be available to SMHS student-athletes to schedule virtual appointments*
Jessica Mayes became the Head Athletic Trainer at San Mateo High School in August of 2016. She was raised in Salinas where she played basketball and softball for North Salinas High School. Jessica was introduced to the profession of athletic training during her first years of college at California State University, Hayward. She graduated from San Jose State University after completing its Undergraduate Athletic Training Education Program in 2009. She has been a BOC Certified AT since July 2009. Jessica obtained her master’s degree in health sciences in athletic training through the University of St. Augustine in December 2016. She has previous experience as a physical therapist’s aide and a personal trainer.
Coaches, please click HERE to fill out the SMUHSD accident report.
Athletic Training Room: *Currently closed indoors – outdoor facility starting 3/8/21*
Location: Indoors: SMHS E106 (located between the pool and the weight room)/Outdoors: In front of the small gym by the tennis courts
The athletic training room consists of two treatment tables, an ice machine, and a stocked inventory of first aid, safety, and rehabilitation items.
Hours during the school year: M-F 11:30am-7pm, depending on the season and sporting events of the day
The athletic training room is an educational facility that is open to all San Mateo High School student-athletes. The following services are provided at the SMHS athletic training room:
- injury prevention advice and services
- injury evaluation and first aid
- referral to physician
- follow-up injury treatment and rehabilitation
- nutritional information
- facilitation of the athletic training club
If you are referred to a physician, or see a physician, for an injury you sustained, a physician’s note MUST BE PROVIDED to the athletic trainer and the health aide. The physician’s note should state the injury and its extent, status of return to sporting activity, and any precautions that should be taken regarding the injury.
A physician’s note is REQUIRED before being allowed to return to the sporting activity! This is done for the safety of the athletes.
To learn more about the profession of athletic training, visit the National Athletic Trainers’ Association website!
Dr. Paul Abeyta, M.D.
Location: Mills Peninsula – Burlingame Center, 1501 Trousdale Drive . Building B, 1st Floor, Burlingame, California 94010
Location: SMHS A116
All health packets and physicals are done through the health clerk. All athletes must be medically cleared by a physician prior to the start of the season.
How to complete the Athletic Packets online:
- Go to smuhsd.org
- Scroll down the homepage and click on “Athletic Packets” link on the left hand side
- Click on “San Mateo” in the center of the page
- Create a username & password on SportsNet (if you haven’t already) or log-in to your created account
- Fill out the entire Athletic Packet (you should soon receive a confirmation email that packet is complete)
Cómo completar los paquetes atléticos electrónicos:
- Visite la página de internet smuhsd.org
- Desplácese hacia abajo y a mano izquierda de la página y haga clic en el enlace llamado “Athletic Packets”
- Haga clic en la escuela que asista su estudiante (por ejemplo, “San Mateo”) encontrado el centro de la pagina
- Debe crear un nombre de usuario y contraseña en SportsNet indicado por “Create an Account” (si es que no lo ha hecho antes) o inicie la sesión de su cuenta creada anteriormente indicado por “Sign In”
- Debe completar el Paquete Atlético completamente (pronto recibirá un correo electrónico de confirmación indicando que el paquete está completo)